Does Ignoring a Narcissist Work and How Do They React? (Shocking Results)
Does Ignoring a Narcissist Work and How Do They React? A Narcissist is always a difficult person to deal with and it might also drain your mental peace completely. With such a person, you might want to cut ties completely or just ignore them while they appear. A Narcissist person can be exhausting, very tough to deal with, completely disregards your opinions and you might lose your self-confidence by being around them.
In such situations, you might only want to break such relations and set free or just ignore them in order to protect your mental peace. But is ignoring a Narcissist person a good idea? Does it really work? Would it ensure your self-confidence? would it ensure your mental peace? If all such questions are popping into your mind right now, then you are absolutely at the correct place.
We will be discussing the probabilities of ignoring a Narcissist and also tell you about the end result or answer your question, “Does Ignoring a Narcissist Work?” along with the after-effects of ignoring a Narcissist and probabilities of how they might react to this. First, let us know in short who is a Narcissistic person and how to spot one to ignore them!
Who is a Narcissistic person?
A narcissistic person is an individual who is excessively obsessed to have control over all situations in their life including their money control, control over all individuals and their behavior, and also expects everyone around the to focus just on them. They intend to be the center of attraction in all situations. A Narcissist person craves attention all the time, lacks care and empathy, can be rude and blunt, ignores other people’s feelings, and has troubled relationships.
How to spot a Narcissist in order to ignore them?
Spotting a Narcissist can make it easy for a person to either deal with them in a better way or just ignore them completely. Let us know some key points to spot a Narcissist:
- They can be rude and always need to prove their point in every situation.
- Arrogance is their nature.
- Need constant attention and are desperate to gain it.
- Always showing off their achievements and talents.
- They lack sensitivity and empathy.
- They take advantage of others for their benefit.
- They merely care for other people’s feelings unless it involves them.
- They think people envy them.
- They have high levels of self-importance, self-esteem, and overconfidence.
- They think they are the center of the circle they are a part of.
- They are self-centric and need immediate attention.
- They always need praise, appreciation, and entitlement.
As quoted by a well-known American Psychiatrist and Author, a narcissist is never wrong and plays a lot of blame games. You might go on a guilt trip and decide just to ignore them or unfriend them. If it is someone whom you do not meet on a regular basis ignoring a narcissist can be one of the options to avoid losing mental health and peace. But is it possible to ignore a narcissist? What do narcissists do when you ignore them? Let us know,
Is it possible to ignore a narcissist? – Does Ignoring a Narcissist Work?
A Narcissist person craves attention all the time. So if you ignore them, they might try to gain you back in their life or would not allow you to move away. For this, they would do anything possible n their power. There are various possibilities and outcomes on how would a narcissist react to being ignored. Let us know them further.
What do narcissists do when you ignore them? – Does Ignoring a Narcissist Work and How Do They React?
There are various possibilities and outcomes on how would a narcissist react to being ignored:
If you have a close relationship or have a romantic relationship with a Narcissist, they might;
- Might try to win you back with excessive love and would ask for forgiveness until you grant it
- Would stalk you in every possible way
- Would reach out to family members and other known acquaintances to know about you and your moves
1. Might try to win you back with excessive love and would ask for forgiveness until you grant it
Once you try to walk away from a Narcissist, they do not allow that. In fact, they would shower you with excessive love. They might compliment you, make your favorite dish, and can even go to extreme lengths to gain your forgiveness until you grant it. This is all just for the time being until you give them control back. They can be more flirty and can try by all means to gain control back. But do not get lured by their such behavior. This is just on a temporary basis. There are some possible ways a narcissist would go to show love and seek forgiveness like,
- They might take you to your favorite restaurant and say all kinds of cheesy things so that they can win you back. But remember this is just temporary, this would all fade away once they have their control back.
- They might also do things like buying expensive presents, going shopping with you, might choose a PDA(Public Display of Affection), and many more such means to lure you back.
2. Would stalk you in every possible way
When narcissists run out of all the ways to lure you back, they might stoop low to means like stalking. This is an uncommon behavior though, but you cannot judge a narcissist. So be prepared mentally. You should deal with a narcissist very carefully as they might have notes of your every activity. They might show up at places like your workplace, stalk you through social media, and even post something which is unfavorable to you. So always be careful while dealing with a narcissist. When you feel extremely unsafe or feel something is going wrong you should immediately seek help.
3. Would reach out to family members and other known acquaintances to know about you and your moves
Once you ignore a narcissist by ignoring their texts, and calls, or even deny meeting them, that’s the time they start stalking you or reaching out to family members, friends, colleagues, or any acquaintances just to know your whereabouts and your next moves. Narcissists hate it when they lose control. This is the last thing they want, losing control over you.
If you are just acquainted with a Narcissist through work or as friends, they might;
- Would just behave as if you never existed for them or ever mattered to them
- They would always test your patience and try to come back at you
- They would spread rumors and disregard you
1. Would just behave as if you never existed for them or ever mattered to them
Once you start ignoring a narcissist, this reaction of yours can boost the ego of the narcissist which in turn makes them ignore you completely. They can make you feel as if you never mattered in their life, and would completely ignore your mere existence. This is their tactic to make you softer and more vulnerable towards them so that they can gain you back. If this does not work, they may completely make you feel unwanted in their life or just pretend you never existed for them.
If you are a friend or acquainted with them and once you start ignoring them, they might not even bother to speak with you anytime or might not even be of any use to you. They might even try to ruin your work or reputation if you are an acquaintance at the workplace. If you are a friend, they might not even care about your existence and gaslight you.
2. They would always test your patience and try to come back at you
A Narcissist would always test your patience and probably trigger you until you freak out. Thus they would blame you for certain situations that they have created when they lose control over you. One such example of such a situation can be, if you are a colleague at the workplace, they would not work with you properly, might ruin your work, or even take extreme measures to come back at you.
3. They would spread rumors and disregard you
A narcissist would not hesitate even once to spread rumors about you and would tell all sorts of stories and lies to turn people around you against you. This would often happen at the workplace. They would wish all people just cut ties with you and then you have to rely on them in case you are friends. They would not allow people to know your side of the story. In such situations, do not get worried and feel lonely, as this is one of the techniques used by a Narcissist when they lose control over you. In such situations you should:
- Tell people your side of the story and have faith in you so that they do not abandon you with all the wrong ideas of you.
- Initially, a Narcissist might seem winning for some time, but eventually, people would notice the truth and would side with you.
You never really know how indeed a Narcissist would react when you ignore them, and also every individual is different so a unique reaction is expected. But these reactions are a little common among all narcissists and these may change depending upon the situations ad circumstances and also with your relationship with them.
The deeper the bond the more drastic and loud their reactions would be. So it is better to be prepared mentally before triggering a narcissist by ignoring them. Be ready for anything unexpected and unusual and also have a backup in case your plan falls to extremities. In such cases seeking help from family, friends, or even the law would be advisory.
Since narcissists deep down feel themselves to be faultless, it is inevitable that when they are in conflict with the world they will invariably perceive the conflict as the world’s fault.” -M. Scott Peck
As quoted by a well-known American Psychiatrist and Author, a narcissist is never wrong and considers them as the center of attraction as if the world rotates around them. Yes! it is possible to ignore a narcissist but you should also be ready for some consequences and unexpected counter-reactions. We hope this clears all your questions regarding ignoring a narcissist.
A Narcissist craves attention all the time. So if you ignore them, they might try to gain you back in their life or would not allow you to move away. For this, they would do anything possible n their power. There are various possibilities and outcomes on how would a narcissist react to being ignored which are discussed above.
You never really know how indeed a Narcissist would react when you ignore them, and also every individual is different so a unique reaction is expected. But these reactions are a little common among all narcissists and these may change depending upon the situations ad circumstances and also with your relationship with them. The deeper the bond the more drastic and loud their reactions would be.