Earlier today, a new blogger friend was asking how to add an amazon affiliate link in wordpress, and I thought others may have the same question.
I am sure there is more than one way to do this, but here is how I do it: it works great and it’s easy to implement if you want to make money with amazon affiliate links.
How to add an Amazon affiliate link in wordpress
Let’s say I want to link to Aromatherapy Roll On Pre-Diluted Gift Set (I’m thinking of getting it for my mom: it makes a nice gift).
Here are the steps I usually go through:
1. Find the item I want to add to my page on on Amazon
2. Click on the HTML tab here in my WordPress, so I can add the code (if you add it into the visual tab you’ll end up with code on your page, instead of a picture or a link).
Positioning your image link
3. If I want my picture to be surrounded by text, I’ll add this code: <div style=”float:left;margin:15px;”></div>. It will give me the option to align the picture left or right, whichever fits my page better, and also gives me some white space around the image, so that the text doesn’t go up against my picture.
4. Then, I’ll go to Amazon and get my code. If you are logged into your account, you’ll have a stripe at the top of your page, and here you can choose what type of link you want to add to your wordpress site. I use the stripe mostly for text links, so I’ll choose “text” from the stripe.
Make sure you choose the tracking ID specific to the project you are working on (#2 in the image above), so you can track where your sales are coming from. You can create tracking IDs specific to a site, or even specific to a page.
Don’t use the same ID on all your sites: you’ll never know what’s working and what’s not.
Oh, and as you’ll see, I chose the “full link” instead of the “short link”. I prefer it this way, just in case I decide to sell my site (I have website ADD and work on several sites at a time, then get tired and sell some)
3 Types of links
5. After you choose your specific tracking ID, you can choose what type of link you want. Here’s what you’ll see, depending on which type of link you want.
If you want to use a text link, you’ll see this: you can choose the short link to keep things tidy, or the full link if you think you might want to sell the site at some point in the future.
If using a combination of text and image, it will look like this:
And if you choose an image link, it will give you the option to choose the size of your image. It will look like this:
6. Now go back to your site, click in between the <div> brackets, and paste the code there, and there’s your link to amazon.
Do you have any questions? Feel free to ask them below.
A better option!
This (above) is how I’ve been adding links to my wordpress sites for many years, but a last year I came across a service that helps me create my image links a lot easier and more attractive! It’s called easy product displays, and works not only with Amazon, but also with Share a sale merchants and Zazzle. You can also create beautiful displays for other merchants by entering just a bit of information. This way, all your images are uniform on your site.
Here’s how a link to the above roller ball set looks like:
ArtNaturals Essential Oils Rollerball Blends – (8 x .33 Fl Oz / 10ml Roller Bottles) – Aromatherapy Roll On Pre-Diluted Gift Set – Jojoba Oil Peppermint, Lavender Eucalyptus and More – Sleep, Stress
This is the largest size possible, but you can also create smaller images that you align to one side or the other, or you can create product showcases, like this:
Essential Oil DiffuserNatrogix Bliss Essential Oils Handcraft Lavender Essential Oil
I hope you’re now comfortable adding Amazon affiliate links to your blog posts and make some money.